Exotic Vet Care in Miami, FL
Experienced in vet care for exotic animals
Paws and Claws Medical Center is an active member of the Association of Reptilian and Amphibian veterinarians, The Association of exotic mammal Veterinarians and The Association of Avian Veterinarians, we offer a wide range of veterinary care to dogs, cats and many exotic pet species, including birds, reptiles and small mammals.
At our Pet hospital located in Miami, we treat a wide variety of small exotic mammals, including ferrets, rabbits, guinea pigs, chinchillas, rats, mice, hamsters, gerbils, sugar gliders and pygmy hedgehogs. These pocket pets require specialized equipment and special skills and knowledge to ensure the best possible care. Ferrets are required to receive rabies vaccines just like cats and dogs while rabbits benefit from spay and neuter procedures.
Continued Education Badges
Most common exotic species that we see
Including parrots, cockatoos, lories, cockatiels, birds of prey, waterfowl, racing pigeons, passerine birds, backyard poultry and more. Avian medicine requires specialized skills and tools to ensure your bird’s safety.
Our veterinary team is experienced in handling and caring for a range of reptiles, such as lizards (bearded dragons, skinks and geckos), chelonians (turtles and tortoises) and snakes. Unfortunately, we are unable to accept venomous snakes as patients.
For other animals, please call to inquire.
Below is a list of some of the most common exotic pets that we see.
Commonly Performed Services for Exotic Pets in Our Miami Clinic
- Complete blood count and biochemistry profile
- Diagnostic imaging (CT scans, digital x-rays, ultrasound)
- Bacteriology and sensitivity
- DNA sexing
- Serology for diagnosis of conditions like Chlamydia, Polyoma Virus, PBFD, Aspergillus, Encephalitozoonosis, Mycoplasma, Sendai Virus and others
- Other diagnostic services not listed here
- Sedation and anesthesia
- Soft tissue and orthopedic surgery
- Lacerations and wound management
- Rabbit and rodent dentistry
- In-hospital services
- Fluid therapy
- Supportive therapy
- Additional advanced services
Routine General Services
- Wellness examinations
- Nutritional and behavior counseling